Date(s) - 10/10/2015
6:00 pm - 11:30 pm
SK Games Offices
- Saturday 10 October, 2015
- 6pm til Late
- SK Games Offices (167 Fitzgerald St, Northbridge)
- $7 FTI Members / $10 Regular Entry (RSVP)
- Cheap drinks all night! (yes, this event is 18+)
- Grab your tickets here
You may have noticed we have a pretty rad games industry here in WA. You may have also noticed that we’ve created our fabulous little industry with very little government support. Imagine what we could do if we had the same support that local games industries enjoy in other states and overseas. That’s what this evening is about, and we have a special guest to help us.
Greens Senator for WA Scott Ludlam recently secured an inquiry into last year’s cancellation of the Australian Interactive Games Fund and the impact it has had on the Australian games industry. As a great supporter of the games industry both Australia-wide and in WA, we’ve invited Scott to this very special edition of Playup Perth where we’ll be showcasing the best games WA has to offer, including pre-launch previews of some hotly anticipated games that haven’t even been released yet!
We’ll kickoff the night with discussion and presentations from local developers of their experiences and challenges making games in WA with the aim of making things better.
- Black Lab Games’ Star Hammer: The Vanguard Prophecy is a sci-fi strategy saga that will test your skills as both capital assault ship Captain and naval fleet Commander. Play your part in the Second Contact War in a campaign with a branching story and over 60 missions, or create your own scenarios in skirmish mode battles.
- SK Games’ Catnips is a 2-team cat milking simulator. Described as “nifty” and “horrifying”, deep down catnips is just about love, nipples, survival and catmilk. Not the easiest to describe in one paragraph, keep an eye out and experience it yourself next time the cats are in town. Catnips was a finalist in WA Screen Awards Best Game in 2015.
- Stirfire Studios’ Freedom Fall is a platform game set in a wickedly dark fairy tale. It is a diabolical down-scrolling game with a whole lot of heart. An odd and creepy heart, to be sure, but a lot of heart nonetheless. In 2013 Freedom Fall was the winner of the first ever WA Screen Award awarded to a game.
- RAEZ’s COGZ is a deviously clever strategy game, all players must plot and play how to gain the most points from the game board. Points are gained through creating segment chains of colours on the board whilst locking completed shapes. Players must gain points in all colours as the final score is based on each players lower colour. Strategising how to gain the ideal points, locking shapes at the right time, limiting opponents potential and planning future moves will challenge even the best players.
- HiVE Interactive’s Blitz Bandits is a 2 player arena shooter with a GAMEBOY aesthetic and a thumping soundtrack by Perth chiptune master ATOMSMASHA. ‘Blitz Bandits’ toured Australia during SK Games’ Interstate Arcade…GET BLITZ’D!’
- HiVE Interactive’s Aliensche is a PC game that has you collect cows and avoid extermination as an invading alien in an unidentified craft. As an extra terrestrial, you are obviously fascinated by Earth’s bovine inhabitants. Your mission is to collect super cute cow specimens for your research requirements by delivering them to them to the mother ship. However, the Cow Defence Forces have been mobilized!
- Desura’s World’s Fastest Pizza is a cross between Hotline Miami and the classic Paper Boy, but instead of papers, you deliver pizzas, and instead of Russians, your foes are sharks, murderous rednecks, and hungry, hungry dingoes.
- Tripleqmark’s Bloc is a 2-player tabletop strategy game where you use your agent to influence the voting public to elect you into power!
- Offpeak Games’ Valiant is a multiplayer virtual reality game designed for the Oculus Rift, featuring fast paced mounted combat across open medieval terrains. Lead your team to victory in exciting team-based deathmatch style gameplay across a large open map. Gain speed, charge your enemies head on, aim your lance correctly, and send the enemy player flying from their horse. Just don’t let this happen to you, it can seem devastatingly realistic in virtual reality…
- Jacob Janerka’s Paradigm is a surreal adventure set in post-apocalyptic Eastern Europe in the not so distant future. You play as Paradigm, the result of genetic tinkering to make the perfect child to sell to rich parents who don’t want to give their fortune to their poor excuses of biological children. However, something goes wrong and Paradigm becomes terribly mutated. He gets dumped in the Post-Soviet union town of Krusz. This is where you start your adventure. As seen on Pewdiepie with over 8 million views!
- ByteSprite’s Bramblelash is a twin-stick shooter with only one stick, no shooting, all co-ordination! BrambleLash is a two-player game about communication, co-operation and fightin’ grime. Leash up with your planty partner and run sludgy enemies through with your thorny tether, while simultaneously working together to avoid their noxious attacks.
About Play Up Perth
PlayUp Perth is a joint initiative of FTI and Atmosphere industries to connect games developers and encourage playfulness. Games developers are encouraged to sign up to have their new games and game prototypes tried out, to receive feedback from participants, which will help make their games even better.
For Game Developers: If you have a game you would like to test please contact FTI Director of Interactive Programs, Dr. Kate Raynes-Goldie on firstname.lastname@example.org or (08) 9431 6709. We’d love to see some more physical games, community games, hybrid games, street games, alternate reality games… or something we’ve never thought of yet.
Organised and Presented By: