Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) today introduced PlayStation®Vita TV (PS Vita TV), a new entertainment system within the PlayStation® family that will allow users to easily access video services, games and various content on their TV at home. The new system adopts chip sets and system software of the PlayStation®Vita (PS Vita) portable entertainment system and its size is 6.5cm × 10.5cm, smallest of all PlayStation® platforms that connect to a TV. With PS Vita TV, users can comfortably enjoy various video services in high quality, including “TSUTAYA TV,” TSUTAYA’s video service with more than 40,000 contents new and old, “niconico,” delivering array of content including live broadcasts, and “Hulu,” an online video subscription service with unlimited access to movies, TVs and anime, by simply connecting the system to the network. In addition, more than 1,300 software titles for PS Vita 1 as well as various network services for PS Vita and PlayStation®Plus membership service can be enjoyed on the system. SCE will deliver PlayStation® experience available on PS Vita TV through system software updates and by enriching the content, to existing PlayStation® fans, as well as those who have not experienced PlayStation® products.
PS Vita TV will be available first in Japan prior to any other regions, on November 14, 2013, at a recommended retail price (RRP) of 9,954 yen (including tax). “PS Vita TV Value Pack” comes with Wireless Controller (DUALSHOCK®3) and 8 GB Memory Card, will also be available on the same day at 14,994 yen (including tax). Additionally, a promotional campaign will run at its launch in Japan, offering PlayStation®Plus 90 days free trial with every “PS Vita TV Value Pack” purchase
Main features of the PS Vita TV system are as follows;
- Various video services
For the Japanese market, a variety of attractive video services will be available including “SKY PerfecTV! On-Demand,” “TBS THE WORLD HERITAGE SELECTION,” “DMM.com,” “TV dogatch” and “U-NEXT” in addition to “TSUTAYA TV,” “niconico,” “Hulu” and video contents available on PlayStation®Store. SCE will continue to further broaden the video services available on PS Vita TV, delivering entertainment experiences only available on PlayStation®.
- Vast lineup of software titles
PS Vita TV offers a vast lineup of 1,300 software titles*1 from PS Vita games, PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) games and PlayStaion® games from PSOne classics, including all-time favorites to the latest blockbuster titles like DANGANRONPA1&2 Reload (SPIKE CHUNSOFT Co., Ltd.), GOD EATER 2 (NAMCO BANDAI Games Inc.) and SOUL SACRIFICE DELTA (Sony Computer Entertainment). Users will be able to enjoy all of these titles using the Wireless Controller (DUALSHOCK®3).
- PlayStation®4 (PS4TM) remote play
As with PS Vita, PS Vita TV will also support PS4TM remote play and Wireless Controller (DUALSHOCK®4) through future system software update*4. This will allow users to enjoy most of the PS4TM games on PS Vita TV as if they are playing it on the PS4TM system.
- Network Services
In addition to the basic applications preinstalled on the system such as “Browser,” “Email” and “Party,” an application for voice chat and text chat, users will have access to various network service applications available for download including; Music Unlimited, a cloud- based digital music service, “radiko.jp,” *5 an Internet Protocol simulcast radio service, “Reader for PlayStation®Vita,” *5 an e-book application for reading books and comics, and “LiveTweet for PlayStation®Vita”*6 an application that allows users to easily find what information they want from Twitter*5. Further enhancing the entertainment experience, new services such as “JOYSOUND.TV (a tentative title),” a streaming karaoke service will also become available for the system.
- Quickly resume game play with Standby Mode
Similar with PS Vita, users can put their PS Vita TV system in standby mode, temporarily saving the system status. With this feature, users will not have to turn off the system completely and can instantly resume their games from the point where they left off. Additionally, if a user owns a TV with CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) specification like BRAVIATM Sync features*7, they can set it up to turn on automatically when the PSVita TV power is turned on, allowing users to resume their game by a touch of a button.
- Smooth, quick and easy control
PS Vita TV adopts PS Vita system software and user interface, allowing users to smoothly, quickly and easily operate the menu as well as applications and games using DUALSHOCK®3.
- Fun and Unique features of PS Vita TV
- PS Vita TV users can play games with PS Vita users via Ad Hoc mode. Those userswho are not playing but in the same room can enjoy the televised game play that thePS Vita TV users are playing.
- Up to 2 DUALSHOCK®3 controllers can be connected to PS Vita TV, allowing usersto enjoy multiplayer games from PS One classics titles.
- Videos stored within Memory Card or those videos being played on the “Browser” ofthe PS Vita system*8 can easily be transferred to PS Vita TV to be viewed on the large TV screen. While being transferred, PS Vita can be used as a remote controller using the video player application.
- PS Vita TV will also support “nasneTM,” a networked recorder and media storage device. Users will not only be able to enjoy content stored within the device but also back up their game data as well as save data on “nasneTM” via the network*9.
- PS Vita TV will continuously evolve with future system software updates that further strengthen its features and services on PSNSM and PlayStation®Plus, as well as further promoting the connectivity with the PS4TM system.
For more information, please read the official press release. (Click Here)